I’m so glad I wasn’t sober all the way through this movie.
Don’t get me wrong here. I’m pretty sure I would have enjoyed it anyway. It was a good movie, with a decent plot, and actors that I recognized (but weird, younger versions of themselves. very off putting in a way). But it is SO VERY 90s, and I’m pretty sure if I’d been watching it with a more critical eye I would have judge it for that.
This film was a played straight high school love story. Several of them even. Now, I’m sure that actually happens. Totally. But it didn’t happen TO ME, so I console myself by tell myself that it is a rare and magical thing. Like unicorns. So sue me.
But, 10 Thing I Hate About You (obviously the title of the poem at the end, by the way) was a lot of fun, to the point where I actively chose to pause it when I was getting distracted by social media so that I didn’t miss the nice guy getting his due (ugh) and the tsun melting (aww). This was a good feel good movie. It appealed to my romantic aspect immensely. Simple fare, but good for it.
- This feminist rant predates tumblr, right?
- Can you ever just be whelmed?
- Have you seen the unwashed miscreants that go to that school?
- I heard he ate a live duck once
- Don’t ever let anyone ever make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want
- You know, you’re not as vile as I thought you were
- Paddle boasting
- Happy endings
- Nice Guy-dom actually working. Fuck you, movie.
- I’m actually a little sour about the Nice Guy getting the Cute Girl at the end. I mean. It was nice, but I feel like if the this movie were to be made now they’d find an different but equally cute way to end that particular plot thread.